Pre-holiday lawn tips from Harden Park Lawns
If you’re lucky enough to be heading off on holidays this festive season the last thing you want to return home to is a damaged, brown lawn.
Harden Park has collated their top pre-holiday lawn tips to ensure you come home to a still-green, thriving lawn.
- Mow right before you leave but don’t mow the lawn too short – during the warmer months to grass should be left a little long to protect the soil from the sun. Never remove more than one-third of the grass plant. If you plan on being away for an extended period of time, engage a local lawn mowing service to come in and give the lawn a mow to keep it in check.
- Don’t fertilise before you leave as this will just encourage rapid growth and will mean that lawn mowing will become more of an issue while you are away.
- Check your lawn drainage system to make sure it’s all working as it should in case of a major downpour while you are on holidays.
- Consider installing a timer to any watering system, or better yet, install a rain sensor system – this will ensure that your lawn is only watered as it is needed, based on recent rainfall.
- Remove any heavy items from the lawn that can lead to soil compaction.
- Trim back any overhanging branches that are stopping sunlight from reaching the lawn or that could fall during a storm, damaging the lawn below or other property.
When you arrive home – if the lawn has grown quite long you will need to give the lawn a few mows to get it back into shape – don’t try and take it right down to the normal length all in one go as this will just cause damage to the lawn and leave it vulnerable to pests and diseases.
Take care of a few lawn care issues before you leave on holidays and come back to a lawn that doesn’t need much work, if any, to get it back into shape.